Monday, July 25, 2011

Barn Hop #21


Garden Update for the Barn Hop!.

I have been planning my fall garden and have about 2 weeks to get the soil and garden area ready for seeds. It is way hot still but I am going to give it a shot for the veggies that can be planted in August. :) I love to use the Growveg.com website to plan my garden. It is only $25 per year and I think, worth it. The program will remember my spring garden and warn me if I am going to replant something in the same space rather than rotating the crops among other things. It is really fun to play with. Anyone with snow in their future could plan to their hearts content waiting for spring time. :)

My potatoes did well this year. I was happy because it was my first shot & I am definitely going to plant them again next spring but I will plant a lot more plants. I didn’t get a ton of them, but overall, I am very happy with the outcome. These are some of the Yukon Golds. I haven't dug the "Red Cloud" as of yet. My little niece is on vacation this week and she wants to help dig them up so I will wait for her to get back. :) I highly recommend Wood Prairie farms, if anyone is interested, for the spring planting.




I had a small watermelon on my vine, but an animal snuck in again and ate it. Boo. It is totally my fault, but I have learned a lot this year and hopefully, next spring, the garden will be better. My tomatoes tried, they really did, but I got them out too late and I think the heat got to them. The beans, pumpkins and peppers too. I did notice that a lot of my plants closer to the house did better so I will be moving them closer in the fall and then again the spring. I think the animals are afraid to come close to the house so that is a good deterrent. :) Fencing will also be added and I have definitely decided to build some kind of square foot gardening boxes. I tried the "bed in a bag" method and it worked, but not well for me.  

I have decided not to have bees for now. I miss them though. I loved watching them in the sunlight, and knowing how hard they work and all the good they bring to the world really inspires me. I may reconsider down the road, but for now I am not bringing them back. I love reading about all of your adventures with them so for now, that will have to do. Luckily, I still have a local honey source. :)

I really wanted to make the trip to Seven Springs, PA for the Mother Earth Fair, but am not sure I will be able to make it. If not this year, then perhaps next year will do it. :)

Click on the button above to join in the fun!  
Happy Homesteading! Have a wonderful week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...