Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Our Animals...



We have animals on our property. We have raccoons, all kind of birds, owls (they are huge!), opossums, snakes, turtles, frogs, otters, fish and a hawk or two. I am sure we have alligators too, but I haven't seen one in a long time. Rumor has it, if you live on a body of water in Florida, you have gators.

Right now the turtles are laying their eggs. I love it when they do that because when they hatch, we get to see the little buggers waddle down to the closest body of water (we live on 2 lakes and have a pond on property) and splash in, just like a kid would do! The only bad thing about when it is time to lay their eggs is the crows. They caw and make such a ruckus while the poor mama is laying her eggs, and as soon as she is done and away from the nest, they fly down and dig in. I don't like that part but I know it is only nature taking its course.

Well, I have been watching a mama turtle off and on all morning walking all over the place trying to find the perfect spot. (didn't get a picture, forgot the camera). Of course the crows were all over her! Poor little thing. She finally found the perfect spot and laid her eggs. So as soon as she was done and on her way back to the pond, I went over and placed an old milk carrier over it to keep the birdies away. Soon we should have some babies running around. They are so cute when they are little aren't they?


I hope you have an awesome week!
Thanks for reading. :)

1 comment:

  1. I can totally relate to the protective, maternal-like reaction to the newly layed turtle eggs! I, too, know that some have to be the "meals" for other animals, but the ones within my reach shouldn't have to be.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...