Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Emergency Meal Kit Challenge (October)

Hi all! Amy over at the Homestead Revival has decided to host a "Meal Kit Challenge" for the rest of October. This is to help everyone get ideas on emergency food preparation for the first 3 "daze" of an emergency situation. As she writes in her blog post here, the first three days can be a daze so the meals should be as simple as possible. Maybe even simple enough that your older children could make it themselves, if needed. I have decided to tackle breakfast for my meal challenge, so here goes.

Breakfast:
1 pkg. precooked bacon
A jar of jelly or jam
Loaf of bread
granola
canned tomato juice or other juices (juice boxes)

I personally love a bacon and grape jelly sandwich (try it!) and you could munch on some granola for added fiber and protein. I think you could add fruit to this too though and if the power was out, you would want to eat the cold stuff out of the fridge first. You could have a hardboiled egg for added protein also. We usually have hard boiled eggs in our fridge at all times. IF there was a fridge still standing that is. This challenge was a little hard because I kept thinking of refrigerated things! I hope other post so I can get some good ideas! Thanks Amy!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for linking up and adding you meal kit idea! I hadn't thought of pre-cooked bacon. Got to look into that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the "hurry up and clean out the fridge" idea. Its very realistic, especially in the first 3 days.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...