Monday, May 23, 2011

Barn Hop #14


I consider myself a newbie urban homesteader/gardener.

I don’t have a big garden, I garden in bags of organic soil. This is only my second Spring season. My bees, well, if you read my blog a few days ago, you know about my bees. If not, you can read about them here.

We live on a good bit of acreage, but most of it is shaded and even though we 'feel' like we are in the county, we are in a highly incorporated area.

Dappled light all over the property


I read all of your blogs that are so cool with their chickens and gardens, goats and cows, even horses and pigs and I am envious of it all.

I love all the Barn Hops and recipe exchanges, canning advice and homeschoolin'.
I would love to do all of this but I have to start small.
All of Gods good things take time, right?

Don't forget, Wednsday is the last day to enter my giveaway for the Root Cellaring - Natural Cold Storage of Fruits & Vegetables book. Winner will be announced on Thursday's blog. Enter the giveaway here.
Thanks for reading!

4 comments:

  1. God gave me 1 Thes 4:11-12 about 4 years ago...October 2007 as a matter of fact. It wasn't until about 6 months later that I realized what he was telling me. Since then I'm gotten a bit more serious about gardening...and slowly but surely I'm learning more and more. I taught myself to can foods. 2 years ago we got 4 backyard chickens. Each year I try something new...even if it's something small. IT ALL COUNTS. We would LOVE to have acreage...but it's not in the plan right now. Plus, God wants us to learn to take care of this little bit that we have before He blesses us with more. The bible says don't despise small beginnings...growing food in soil bags is a great start, you are on the right track! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do NOT give up!! I wanted to on Friday when I saw my bees, but then I thought about the fact that it's how we learn and if I give up, I'll miss that opportunity. Also, you're right that it takes time. We've lived on our homestead for 8 years and just getting some things going that I've dreamed of for years! Each year I make a list of goals and prioritize which is most important to me and I work on that first. If I get my top priorities done for the year I feel like it was a good year. And last year, one of them did not get done, but we were able to do several smaller but important things accomplished that I felt like it was equally as good! Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm right there with you sister:) I feel soo over whelmed at times thinking of how behind I am compared to most of the other Homesteads on the Barn hop, but I know the Lords timing is the BEST, and that I need to learn patience..

    "Let us not be weary in doing good, for we will reap in due season, if we don't give up." Galatians 6:9

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tackling one new thing a month is what works for me. Otherwise it all get's too overwhelming. Baby steps is the way to go.

    We had lots of pine trees when we first moved here and every year we had one chopped down until there were none. Now I'm planning a mini orchard. Hang in there and don't compare yourself to anyone - we're all at different stages.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...